How to cure loneliness?
It can not be cured because it is not a disease.
It is the truth of life. The proof is that we were born alone and we will die alone.
In between life and death, we surround yourself with other people and things to create an illusion of belonging. And we become sad when this illusion doesn’t work the way we imagined it to be.
Once you befriend this truth, you realize how amazing it is. It won’t happen overnight but you can get there easily.
But you shouldn’t believe me. Here are 2 scientists (one of the inner world, other of the outer) talking about loneliness: “Be alone, that is the secret of invention; be alone, that is when ideas are born.”
― Nikola Tesla “The capacity to be alone is the capacity to love. It may look paradoxical to you, but it’s not.”
Here are a few practical tips that I found very useful in befriending myself:
1. Accept that in the attempt to escape loneliness you will only end up bullshitting yourself. Accept your loneliness no matter how hard it feels.
2. Spend time with yourself without your cell phone, a book or anything else to distract you.
3. Befriend people with a backbone who can survive without being dependent anyone else.
4. Practice mindfulness. Learn to live in the moment.
5. And (surprise, surprise!) meditate.